Jesse Marsch is the first American to coach a soccer team in the UEFA Champions League, the premier club competition in the world.
He’s the head coach of Red Bull Salzburg, the top team in Austria. He’s a master motivator and incredibly thoughtful about how to develop the capabilities of his less experienced players.
I love the following quote of his:
“Game day is for the players — I actually think coaches get in the way. There are occasions when unexpected things happen in a match and a coach has to manage that situation effectively. But, I want my players to go out there and feel free. If they’re constantly feeling judged then it’s a block for them to make mistakes and learn from them.”
Let me translate that into sales-speak:
“Selling is for the sellers – I actually think managers get in the way. There are occasions when unexpected things happen in a sales situation and a manager has to manage that situation effectively. But I want my sellers to go out there and feel free. If they’re constantly feeling judged then it’s a block for them to make mistakes and learn from them.”
If your sellers constantly feel that pressure of being judged or measured, then too few will experiment and risk making a mistake.
This is exactly what you don’t want to happen. Timid sellers produce average results.
Mistakes are an essential learning path for sellers. You have to feel confident enough in yourself as a manager to let those mistakes happen.
It’s possible to build a culture of accountability in sales without every seller feeling that there’s a sword hanging over their head.
The best way to do that is to get out of their way. Establish clear expectations for your sellers. And then give them the freedom, and the responsibility, to make mistakes and learn from them.
If your close rates are too low…
If your sales cycles are too stretched out…
If too many of your qualified opportunities are ending up as a “No decision”…
In less than 10 minutes I’ll teach you how to:
- Elevate the quality of your pipeline with my 5 simple steps to inject higher quality prospects into your forecast.
- Improve the efficiency and effectiveness of your selling by eliminating the wasted time and high opportunity costs the come from selling to unqualified prospects.
- And quantify the value of your solution with a bullet-proof process to link your value to the buyer’s desired outcomes
Not only will I teach you this bulletproof qualification method, which I’ve personally used to qualify and close deals ranging from in size from $5,000 to over $50 million, but when you become a member of The Sales House you’ll get:
- Instant access to world’s ONLY all-in-one modern sales education.100% dedicated to giving you the skills, knowledge and wisdom to accelerate your sales and your career.
- Instant Access to our 400+hour of educational sales content, workshops, step-by-step checklists, conversations with world-class sales authorities, how-tos and so much more, with NEW CONTENT added EVERY WEEK!
- Instant access to “The Foundation.” This is Andy’s latest update of his 9 Building Blocks of Sales Success. It’s a step-by-step education on the essential values, behaviors, habits and mindset you need to sell up to your potential. Corporate clients pay $15K+ for this material.
- Unlimited access to our private Slack community to network with like-minded sellers and have your questions answered by The Sales House team and community.
- EXCLUSIVE access to private member events, including: monthly LIVE workshops, Weekly Office Hours with Andy, and so much more!